This is the time of year when parents across the country are scrambling to schedule their kids’ summers. When does school end? When does school start up again? What week(s) are we going to all go on vacation together? What long weekends will we take? And most importantly — What summer camps will we sign up for this year?
The summer camp options seem almost limitless, with, of course, more and more options opening up as your kids get older. Well, here’s an option you may not have considered.
Try a youth running summer camp
These camps are a great way for your kids to have a lot of fun in a safe environment while improving their running and learning about fitness with peers that share the same values. And, believe it or not, there are kids running summer camps all across the country! Most are open to kids in Middle School through High School, but age requirements vary from camp to camp. If you search locally on Google chances are you can find one near you. Here’s a selection of running camps from across the country that are worth checking out!
Kids Summer Running Camp List
- Nike Running Camps — locations nationwide, ages 14 to 18 This is the 800 lb. gorilla of youth running camps with programs all across the country. Check out their website to find a Nike Running Camp near you. These camps are all professionally staffed and held on college campuses. Definitely worth a look!
- Warr10r Camp — Locations in Florida and Georgia, ages 12 to 18 This camp has kids run on trails in the Florida and Georgia countryside. If I still lived in Georgia, I’d send my kids here!
- Runners Workshop XC Camp — Lake Tahoe, Malibu, and Idyllwild, CA, ages 12 to 18 California has some of the prettiest running country and best weather around!
- Stars and Stripe Track Camp — Oregon, ages 6 to 18 Kids as young as six can attend this daycamp to learn and practice a variety of track and field events.
- Steens Mountain High Altitude Running Camp — Oregon, ages 13 to 19 When they say “High Altitude” they’re not kidding! Base camp is at 7500 feet, and with daily runs through the mountains, this camp is not for the fainthearted.
- Elevate Running Camp — Arizona, high school ages Another mountain running camp, Elevate puts a focus on on learning with instructional sessions everyday in addition to regular runs and typical camp fun.
- Camp Isaiah — Colorado, middle school to high school ages This Christian camp allows kids to enjoy running and other activities while exploring their spirituality in the Rockies.
- Carrie Tollefson Training Camp — Minnesota, middle school to high school ages Started by running star Carrie Tollefson and held in her hometown in Minnesota, this high performance camp is exclusively for girls.
- Wilderness Running Camp — Missouri, teens Located in the beautiful Ozarks, this camp is a true outdoor adventure that combines trail running with fun outdoor events like float trips.
- First XC Running Camp — South Carolina, teens Held on the grounds of Furman University, this camp is for runners of all ability levels.
- Cavalier Distance Running Camp — North Carolina, teens Located near Asheville, NC, this Christian running camp is packed with outdoor activities such as a ropes course and hiking through the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
- X-Treme Running Camp — New Jersey, middle school and high school ages This high performance camp located near the Delaware Water Gap is geared towards helping competitive runners jump to the head of the pack.
- Aim High Running Camp — New York, middle school and high school ages This camp, set in upstate New York’s Adirondack Mountains, is packed with activities!
- Portsmouth-Newport Running Camp — Rhode Island, high school ages Open to runners of all ability levels, this camp is set on the scenic campus of Portsmouth Abbey School near historic Newport, RI.
So what are you waiting for? Find a camp near you and sign up before they fill up!
And if you know of a great kids running camp that I missed, please let us know about it in the comments!